Who wants to read a lengthy introduction to a recipe? Let’s get cooking!
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
¾ cup of cranberry-grape juice
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp chili powder
Salt to taste
3 frozen chicken breasts
½-1 bell pepper
1-1 ½ cups of rice
Shredded or sliced cheese to taste
- In a 7x11in (17.5x28cm) glass, oven-safe dish, combine juice, cumin, paprika, chili powder, and salt
- Add frozen chicken breasts (all roughly the same size)
- Bake at 375°F/190°C for 30 minutes
- Remove pan and flip chicken
- Return to 375°F/190°C oven for 20 minutes
- Dice bell pepper. Slice or shred your cheese of choice (I used sharp cheddar). Cook rice according to package directions.
- Remove pan. Add bell pepper and cheese to taste. Cut chicken to check that it is thoroughly cooked. (For best results use a meat thermometer to ensure that the internal temperature is at least 165°F/75°C.)
- Return to 375°F/190°C oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted
- Remove and serve over rice. Use the remaining juices in the pan as a sauce.
One day I was home alone for dinner. I wanted something easy I could just stick in the oven and forget about, but that wasn’t boring or pre-made. Thus, the sweet baked chicken was born.
We didn’t have any wine, so I subbed in juice, not really following a recipe. I grabbed some spices that seemed to go together, threw it all together and shrugged to myself, thinking it couldn’t be that bad. About an hour later I was enjoying a delicious mildly sweet chicken dish and kicking myself for not writing anything down.
Fast forward to this past week, when I tried to recall everything I’d added to my dish and how much I needed so that I could make this thing again. When I figured it out, I knew I had to share the dish with my readers. Enjoy!
Did you enjoy this post? Did you try this recipe? Tell me about it in the comments and share this post via Facebook or Twitter. And, as always, follow me here on WordPress for more GREAT content like this.