I’m not a fan of a drawn-out explanation before getting to the recipe. So, without further adieu….
Vegetarian Mexican Pizza
Recipe makes one 10-12” pizza
1 Pizza Crust (I used Boboli thin crust, which is pre-made, pre-baked pizza crust)
1 can black beans
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp cayenne
1 bell pepper (any color)
1 small tomato
1 jalapeño (you can add more or less to taste)
1 handful of corn
Mexican cheese blend
- Place pizza stone in oven and preheat to 500°F
- While oven is warming up, cook one can of black beans
- Seed and dice tomato, jalapeño(s), and bell pepper
- Once beans are cooked, mash them and combine with cumin, paprika, and cayenne. Make sure the consistency is spreadable, you may need to add some water (I used the water I cooked the beans in).
- Remove stone from oven and place crust on stone
- Working quickly, spread bean mixture on crust (this is your pizza sauce), add cheese to taste, veggies (tomato, jalapeño, bell pepper, and corn), and parsley to taste. Sprinkle with salt to bring flavors together. You will probably have more vegetables than you need. The leftovers make a nice salsa!
- Place pizza in oven for 2-5 minutes. Keep a close eye on it and remove when the cheese begins to melt.
My husband and I have made this pizza together a few times. It’s a modification of this recipe. We had a lot of fun making it, and it was delicious. In the picture above you can see I used a red bell pepper. I’ve also made this pizza with a mix of red and orange peppers, and it worked well. Any mix of bell peppers should be sufficient.
You might enjoy making your own crust, in which case you should bake your crust, then follow the directions with the pre-baked crust. We used a store-bought, pre made, pre-baked crust because I’m not about that bread baking life.
It’s a delicious, different pizza that is 100% vegetarian, though thoroughly enjoyed by my meat-eating family. It still packs protein because the sauce is black bean based!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Did you make any modifications? Tell me about it in the comments below! Share with friends via Facebook and follow my blog for more recipes like this.